COVID-19 Communication to Parents and Families for the 2020-2021 School Year
Welcome to our COVID response page. Below you’ll find all the critical information about how our school is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk of COVID infection.
We are doing everything we can to make sure staff, students, and families are safe.
Please check back regularly, as we will update the information here as conditions change.
Please refer to the NYC Messages to Families page for more information.
Last updated: October 14, 2020
HYBRID LEARNING SCHEDULE FOR 2020-2021
This school year, we will follow a hybrid learning schedule. That means that your child will be in school some days and working from home some days.
Your Responsibilities While in the Building
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: Masks must be worn at all times by all adults (teachers, staff, and visitors) while in the building. If your child is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, they must have an excuse signed by a doctor on file in the office.
- Handwashing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
- Entry and dismissal procedures: Please maintain social distancing during entry and dismissal. Parents are not allowed to enter the building unless arrangements have been made in advance with the office.
- Visiting our school: We are limiting visitors to the school during this time. Parent classes and in-person tutoring have been suspended until further notice. Most parent-teacher conferences and other meetings will be held virtually. All visits must be pre-approved and scheduled with the office.
- Traffic flow in hallways and common areas: Hallways are marked with arrows. Please keep at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and others.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 100.0°F must stay home. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you stay home a minimum of 10 days. Please contact us via phone or email as soon as possible.
- Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYC DOE Link to Find a Test Site page to find a test site closest to you.
Safety Precautions Taken By Our School
In addition to asking everyone to wear masks, wash hands, and maintain social distancing, our school has taken several steps to improve the safety of our staff and students. These steps have been recommended by local health authorities to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 and other illnesses.
- Changes in class sizes: We've reduced the average class size for in-person instruction. Class sizes are dependent on the size of the room and do not exceed 10 students.
- Improvements in ventilation: In an effort to maximize air circulation, windows and doors remain open.
- Increases in cleaning frequency: Our custodial team is committed to cleaning all classrooms twice daily, once before the school day and once in the afternoon. In addition, all classroom teachers have been provided with sanitizing wipes to wipe down surfaces and shared resources on an as-needed basis throughout the school day.
- Hand sanitation: All bathrooms have been stocked with extra soap for frequent hand washing. In addition, we added hand sanitizer stations to each classroom and office.
Remote Learning Expectations
During hybrid or 100% remote learning, your child is expected to complete all assignments provided by the teacher. At the same time, we recognize that working independently at home is different and difficult for many students, so we want to provide flexibility.
- Students and families should check their emails and Google Classroom daily for important updates from their teachers. You can find a link to your teacher's Google Classroom in the Staff Directory.
- At-home assignments for the week will be posted in Google Classroom.
- Each assignment will have a due date. Assignments will be graded.
- All students are expected to sign into Advisory each day from 12:30 to 1:30 on Zoom. The link is in the students email.
- During 100% distance learning, your teacher may conduct live classes via Zoom. Links to live classes are found on the students schedule and/or in the students email.
- When signing in for virtual classes or meetings, students are expected to be on time and ready to learn. We suggest signing in 5 minutes before class starts. Please try to reduce background noise and distractions as much as possible.